Today we’re introducing Keeping It Together, our newest campaign all about the life-altering experience of becoming parents. Through expert perspectives, true stories and an unfiltered lens, Keeping It Together is about digging a little deeper and breaking down the parenting experience year-by-year, starting with what might be the hardest one of all – the first year.
For an unfiltered perspective on how parenting has impacted their identity, relationships and career, we polled 1,000 new parents* across the United States, and the survey revealed that:
- 80% feel planning their social life requires more work than filing their taxes since becoming a parent
- 8 out of 10 parents have gone to extremes to “take a break” from their parenting duties, such as sitting on the toilet for longer than necessary (56%) and making up an excuse to run errands (30%)
- 65% of parents frequently “downplay” how challenging they feel parenting is in conversations with others
- More than half of parents say that if they have 10 minutes to themselves, they would want to spend it on basic self-care activities such as taking a shower or a nap
Visit our campaign website for a variety of evolving content including stories from real families and videos from our expert advisors covering a variety of parenting topics including identity, relationships, and career.
Keeping It Together advisors include:
- Esther Perel: Recognized as one of today’s most insightful and original voices on modern relationships, Esther has penned two international best-selling books and recently launched her new podcast series, Where Should We Begin?
- Alexandra Sacks, M.D.: Working as a Columbia University trained reproductive psychiatrist in her private practice, Dr. Sacks is an expert on the female brain and how the stages in a woman’s development, including motherhood, impact identity, and coauthor of the forthcoming book, How Come No One Told Me?: The Emotional Guide to Pregnancy and the First Year of Motherhood.
- Amy Henderson: As an advocate for working parents, and the CEO and co-founder of Tend Lab, a consultancy that helps companies create successful work environments for parents, Amy is helping to transform the workplace through the power of parenthood.
- Doyin Richards: Best-selling author and keynote speaker, Doyin is passionate about raising his two young daughters while inspiring moms and dads to reach their full potential as parents.
*Wakefield Research survey conducted in February of 2018 among 1,000 nationally representative U.S. parents of children ages 12 months and younger. Survey sponsored by Plum Organics.